Server Failure!

A couple of days ago, my webserver failed catastrophically and I’ve spent tonight trying to get everything working again on a new server. I used to be diligent about taking backups but the last one I had was from back in January, meaning that everything from this year has been lost. That isn’t quite as bad as it sounds at first. I have made sure to keep all the PC Zone scans which have been the main content this year. I have copies of Vecalabeth and the Ultima Patcher with the source code for both, and the scan of the Underworld 3 Design Docs.

Most of this years posts are on the internet archive so I’ve recreated all of those. These are a quick bodge job and I may go back and tidy them up. What has been lost in that process are most of the images and all the comments. Not ideal but it is what it is. There may still be a chance to recover my old server but my provider isn’t being too forthcoming with information and it’s probably not going to happen so we plough on from here. The lesson from this, which I already knew even if I didn’t actually do it, is to take regular backups! An old backup is a whole lot better than no backup at least.

I can’t say I’ve tested it properly yet but just about everything seems to be working now. One exception is the contact form so if you spot anything else I need to fix best leave a comment for now.

1 thought on “Server Failure!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *